CAMPCAMPCAMP

Friday, October 15, 2010 x 5:27 PM

omg this is going to take forever x.x

Imma back from crossroads camp! Home, sweet home! <3 Camp was fuuunnnnn. It didn't disappoint. The place is pretty nice. It is civilised - come on, the place had free wifi! It's huge too. I think one of the instructors said it was 200 hectares or something (and then we tried to figure out what it was in metres, gave up because we couldn't remember the conversion). There's green everywhere. I guess it's good to hang out with nature every now and then.

Let's see if I can remember everything...

DAY 1
Had to get up at the crack of dawn to get to school by 7:30. I stuffed myself with my mummy's breakfast because I knew I'd miss her "love cooking" :L Buses came. I got onto the double decker bus. It was the first time I'd ridden a double decker in Australia. We sat right at the front and there was a crack on the front window that we kept laughing at. Katherine yelped every time we brushed into low branches because she was sitting in the frontmost seat, right behind the crack XD

It didn't take particularly long to get to Stanwell Tops. I thought it'd take ages. I knew from the moment I stepped into the auditorium that the campus would be decent. It's well-furnished and everything. The only bummer was that my room was all the way in some place called the retreat, which was a ten minute walk from the dining halls and everything. We couldn't go up there without a teacher either because it's a long road and they feared something would happen to us along the way, so we were pretty much stranded most of the time. I was annoyed when the teachers wouldn't take us up until ten o'clock the first night, because there were three groups staying at the retreat and pretty much all of us needed to shower. We were up until midnight just lining up to shower ==; Besides that, I didn't really mind it. I wouldn't have minded the opportunity to change into clean clothes after some sweaty activities but that wasn't much of a hassle. And I liked hanging around in other people's cabin for some reason.

So anyway, our first activity after arriving was high ropes. Christ, it was nerve-wracking. It's like an obstacle course ten metres above ground level. We had harnesses on and everything, but it still took heaps of concentration and repetitions of 'don't worry, you won't fall... much'. Standing on firm ground after the course felt so weird, like I was expecting it to wobble and jerk me off. It was an alright activity to start off with, although I wanted to do vertical cluster more. A group either does high ropes or vertical cluster. Vertical cluster is harder. It also looked more fun. I dunno, compared to vertical cluster, the high ropes course looked boring ):

Next activity was mission impossible. It was the worst activity! D: It involved a lot of crawling around the bush. Slippery ground, narrow paths, spiky plants, muddy rocks, bull ants and all. We had to find clues and solve puzzles and whatnot. It was basically orienteering in the bush. Our guide kept smiling to herself whenever we walked the wrong way :L It was an experience though. I'd never done gritty activities and pointless as it seemed, I didn't hate it.

After that, we had... ermm... was it go-karting? I think it was. It was cool! I got tipped out of the cart :L We were playing cat and mouse; you eliminated other riders by overtaking them and the last one standing was the winner. It was hard to overtake because the track was small and you'd crash into other karts or the tyre boundaries if you didn't keep your eyes out. I was chasing after the last person on the track and made a really tight turn while going around the bend at full speed. There was a time where I almost tipped and managed to get the wheel back on the ground. I bet that would've looked cool if it were filmed :L Go-karting is so fun! 8D

I completely forgot that crossroads was a sex education camp until we had a sex talk session. It was boring except for the drunk glasses. They emulated a drunk person's perspective and it was hilarious trying to zigzag around cones while wearing them. All sense of direction and distance was skewered. They were pretty cool =D

As expected, we didn't get much sleep. We went to bed at around one o'clock. My friends decided to sleep together on Alice's double bed. I sat it out because I was dead tired and actually wanted to get some sleep, and it was already a tight fit with four people anyway. I was on the top bunk of the opposite bed so I had a wonderful view of everything that was going on. I was also sleeping pretty lightly so I was awake for everything that happened. And A LOT happened that night/morning.

At 1:50, Alice suddenly sat up and was like "I can't take this anymore, it's too hot." Four people and their sleeping bags crammed onto one bed? Of course it'd be boiling. I was sweating just sleeping alone! It was funny, because the moment Alice sat up the gap she had been lying in immediately closed. Courtesy of Shri, who we established was a LOG. She slept through everything!

Alice migrated to another bunk bed, Anthea followed and they shared a bed for a while. Then Jenny caved and migrated as well. Just when we were settling down again, Alice pops up and goes "Oh my god!" and kept us in suspense for five seconds before adding, "I forgot to take my vitamin C." So I played torch person and helped her find her way. And guess what she brings our attention to? A slug on the wall. We agreed that we had to do something about it, all the while staring intently as it slowly made its way up the wall. Eventually I had to scoop it into a cup and flush it down the toilet because no one would move. Only because it was a slug. If it was a spider, I would've suffocated myself in my sleeping bag in case it crawled onto me sometime during the night.

In between all the drama, we had Jenny accused of being an earthquake because she rolls around so much (I do too but no one was beneath me) and Anthea's snoring filling the silence. We only got five hours of sleep @_@ Except for Shri, who slept through everything. LOG.

Needless to say, I received widespread approval for being smart and sleeping by myself from the start :3

DAY 2
We were all so dead in the morning. I sure woke up properly when we went on the giant swing. It was so high off the ground! It was scary! You feel like you're free falling despite the harness. The view was brilliant though, and definitely worth it. It looks heaps better than the photo when you're on the swing =D


I didn't like abseiling nearly as much. We went down a rockclimbing wall instead of a cliff and I found it boring. It was hard, yes, but I didn't feel accomplished or anything when I finished. I got rope burn on my waist too ): I might've liked it if I tried the 10m wall but I didn't feel like it. Abseiling was the only activity I didn't do thoroughly. I sucked at it. Still, it was experience and I can at least tell people that I've abseiled before :L

We had a guest speaker come in and talk to us about date rape. He's really good and funny. The lecture was actually pretty beneficial. Everyone thinks they won't find themselves in bad situations so when they do they panic and don't know how to deal with it. I'd probably forget everything and just struggle XD How advantageous that guys have a major weakness between their legs.

We had a few hours of cabin time in the night. We just sprawled over the double bed pigging out on food and talking about random stuff. I like having cabin time =D We were all so tired that we flopped onto our beds and had a drama-less sleep.

DAY 3
Today was the last day of camp, and I think it ended pretty well. We had a 1.5 hour trek down a mountain to a beach. It was raining a bit and the narrow paths were slippery. I kinda liked it though. It was better than mission impossible because we didn't have to worry about spiky plants. The beach was nice. I went to the water's edge and let the water wash over my legs. It felt so nice 8D I built two wonky sandcastles that both got washed away TTwTT

And now camp is over. I really enjoyed it. I wish we had more camps during high school. The memories, man! I'm dead tired though. I actually fell asleep on the bus a few times. I had a funny dream too. I was dreaming about bowling for some reason, and my hand sort of reflexively flicked. Which would only have been a bit weird if I wasn't holding my ipod. I almost bowled my ipod in my sleep! D8

I'm not looking forward to unpacking at all. All the dirty clothes and whatnot... I think I'll spend the rest of the day watching Vampire Knight Guilty or something XD I feel sad that camp is over but I didn't regret anything so that's good. Maybe I'm just older, but I think this is the best camp I've been on. Not like there are many to compare to :L

And at the end of the day... home, sweet home <3

2 Comments