Depressed

Saturday, January 29, 2011 x 5:39 PM

I'm very sad because my fishies are sick. Namely Cheese. The ammonia and nitrite levels in the water suddenly spiked and that's very bad for fish. I've done all I can. Got them conditioning chemicals, added an air pump, bought aquarium salt. Spike is acting pretty normally but Cheese is like on the verge of death TTwTT I think that even if I can solve the problem, the harm's been done. I don't even want to check the tank in the mornings because I'm paranoid that Cheese won't survive. I don't think she has much chance D:

I thought I'd miraculously avoided it, but it seems I've fallen prey to New Tank Syndrome. I will get replacement fish if I do lose any, but I've grown very attached to Spike and Cheese ): Fish are trivialised as pets. Almost everyone has at one point had fish that died. The death of a pet fish just doesn't have as big an impact as the death of a dog or cat. So it sounds silly when I say I'm sentimentally attached to my goldfish, but I am. I won't be beyond myself with grief, but I would be very very sad. In fact, I'm very very sad right now anyway D: I guess it's the fact that fish aren't as sturdy as a lot of pets. They're completely reliant on their owners and owners with the best intentions don't always know how to look after fish properly. It's because fish are so accessible that they are one of the most common pets, but they're also pets that don't live long in most cases. Fish can actually live for around ten years if they're kept in a good environment.

Bracing myself at the moment because I don't think Cheese is going to survive. I can't do anything more than hope right now. You gotta know when to let go sometimes TTwTT

0 Comments