Happy birthday Mummy!

Sunday, November 27, 2011 x 7:14 PM

This is what happens when you're too lazy to blog: you feel obligated to run through everything that happened between posts before you reach the present ==;

School formal was on Wednesday. It was good seeing people again and watching them have fun on the dance floor. Jenny went wild :P The food was okay too. Well, the main course anyway. The entree wasn't that great. We ended up being the last ones to be picked up from the place, haha. Chilling by the fountain was fun though. We slept over at Anthea's place and watched Bridesmaids - a rather... weird movie. Sleeping was a squish with four people in a queen bed, and sweltering hot. Looking at my own bed, I have no idea how we managed :L Of course, I only got two hours of sleep.

The next day, we woke up Jenny so we could pick up stuff we left at her place before the formal. First thing I did when I got home was nap for two hours, and then take a shower. I felt filthy but put shower second because there was no way I could stay awake long enough to blowdry my hair before sleeping. Then I headed out again for my first tutoring lesson with Cynthia's sister. I'm still a bit bamboozled by the idea of me as a tutor but I guess I'll just take whatever comes at me for now, since I don't have a job and it's not like I have anything else to do. I've warned Adriana like five times to tell her mum if I suck at tutoring, and I'm glad her mother is very honest and will nicely give me the boot if required. Nothing worse than stumbling through something you have no talent in :L

It actually wasn't that bad. I went in with nothing so it was a little all over the place, with me derailing into confuzzling explanations whenever Adriana asked a question. Explaining is so, so hard. We went through basic essay structure, starting from scratch because she's never encountered essays before. We ended up using Twilight as an example because she hasn't read Harry Potter (I was floored for a while - for someone who supposedly likes reading, I would've thought HP was a given). Our second example was a fairytale and she ended up choosing Rumpelstiltskin, which I'm utterly clueless about other than the fact that it involves guessing a name. I told her that since I didn't know it, she could lie about some of the themes and I wouldn't know, but the important part was that she could pinpoint an example to show that she had valid proof. So throughout the exercise, we kept teasing each other; I accused her of lying for everything, she rubbing it in that I wouldn't know even if she did, etc. She claims she wasn't lying :L

So yeah, tutoring was actually pretty fun. Not sure if I'm actually doing a good job so we'll see after a few more lessons XD

And today is mine and Mum's birthday! Whoopie! I've gotten heaps of birthday wishes on facebook already but at home, I forget that it's my birthday. Ever since I was old enough to prepare presents on my own, my mummy's birthday has always been more important than mine XD Today I went up to Burwood to get her presents. My first idea was a new kettle, because our household is having a bit of an aging appliance crisis. It had to be kettle because there was no way I could afford or lug home a rice cooker or microwave. I kept it in the back of my head as I went looking for a blouse she could wear to work. Decided against buying it (ran into Cynthia working Kmart's changeroom too :L) and ultimately ended up getting a $120 Breville kettle for a discounted $105. I also got a free, humongous $1.50 Bing Lee bag that made me look more midget than I am because of its sheer size ==;

And then I spent half an hour tromping up and down part of Burwood Road for half an hour. Mum wanted cake from a particular store and so, lostie that I am, I only recalled that it was near ANZ and Commonwealth banks. So I walked up one side of the road, didn't see it, crossed to the other side and walked back down, then crossed and went back up. I looked retarded TTwTT Then I thought to walk a bit further - and voila, there it was. A tiny bakery, disguised behind a closed door and funky Chinese writing that made it so hard for me to recognise the name. After getting the cake, I stalked all the way back up to Westfield to get flowers, ignoring my plan to dump the cake and kettle at home before going back to out to buy flowers. So yes, my day was hectic.

Mum likes the kettle :3 She said it was the same one she had been looking at. Practical gifts are the way to go with my mum, and the thing about mothers is that you can get them household appliances :L She only uncharacteristically specified that she wanted flowers and cake, so she wasn't expecting the kettle. Teehee! By the end of the day, I only had 60c left... but Dad gave me cash just then =D I manage the finance in the house so I thought it was another normal exchange, until I remembered that it was probably my birthday money XD I told you I easily forget my birthday. Mum's present to me shall be a laptop which we shall be getting once I set my eyes on a model :3

We shall be having crab for dinner! Family dinner was supposed to be tomorrow because Dad is working the whole day today. Well, he was until his taxi broke down. So we're having crab today instead 8D We had a birthday dinner with family friends last night, and coupled with today, Mum seems really happy. I think she's happiest that I'm finally 18 and finished with high school :L Plus she's going to have her third cake today. How prophetic was my birthday message in her card? "If how fat you are represents your happiness, I hope you’ll get much, much fatter!" Love you, Mummy <3

0 Comments