Mapping out my future... again

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 x 8:26 PM

For the first time in months, I yanked myself out of bed at 7:00. 6:50 to be precise. By 7:20, I was out the door. I reached Central at exactly 7:50. All just to go to some breakfast thing at USYD. I was zombie-ing for hours @_@

I was prepared to be a loner today, but I met Nirali waiting for the bus to USYD and she was my buddy =D At least the food at USYD was good. The whole breakfast event thing was pretty boring until we split into faculty panels. Nirali and I went to the health science one, and it was so helpful. A mini lecture on the faculty, Q&A with graduates from the individual courses, and best of all, more Q&A with profs and graduates after! I didn't even need to go to any lectures. I got all my questions answered in one place and picked up tips listening to other people's questions. I think I should do the Grammar Bridging Course, for the knowledge and head start in making new friends. I wouldn't have had the chance to ask all those questions if I hadn't accepted the breakfast invite, so good thing Mum kept nudging me towards it. I'm no longer clueless about uni 8D

We spent ages asking questions, and by the time we decided to head back to the station, it was sweltering hot. Almost as soon as we got off the bus, we got flagged down by people from the Save the Children charity. Since I'm plagued by some ridiculous disease that ensures I can never refuse people, I ended up signing up for it. $20 a month. That's a week of tutoring for me, but it's affordable and my parents sometimes give me money anyway. So the amount isn't the problem. What is, is my inability to say no to people ==;

See, I don't mind signing up for Save the Children. It's a good cause. But if I'd been flagged down by something non-charity related and they were nice people, I know there is a 70% chance I would end up getting roped into it simply because I find it awkward and feel terrible saying "sorry, I'm not interested" and walking off. Which means I am the easiest person to scam. What's worse is that some part of me may be aware that I'm getting scammed, and I'll still walk into anyway. If I can smell a big scam, I'm smart enough to be mean to stay away and protect my monies. Other than that, I get flagged down far too easily >.> Arghhh, why can't I just ignore them like other people? When they look at me and smile and ask me how I'm going, I have to stop. sdnflwaefldadfhaslf

So yes. I am going to have to work on being more stone hearted. Otherwise I'm going to end up flipping my life upside down one day ==;

That said, I found it sad that the charity lady said that Nirali and I were the only ones were actually listened to her talk today, and that I was the only one who signed up. I think even charity stuff is very economical. You can't really tell if you're being scammed if it's an obscure charity, and even a legit charity might not spend all of your $20 on what it's supposed to be spent on. Allllll economics. Who knows, my $20 could be funding anything but improving child mortality. So it's understandable that people are wary of these things. I've been raised to avoid people who try to sell me things. But if everyone thinks so... economically, then this is going to be one sad world ): Ignorance is a blessing. I don't know if they're using my $20 legitimately, but I feel better knowing I tried to save a baby across the globe :L Babies are adorable things. When I grow older and get a proper job, I want to sponsor a kid =D

So anyway, after the whole charity thing, we met up with Joanna, who returned a book I'd lent her. Poor girl, doesn't know what she wants to do in uni, and it didn't help that she was too lazy to go to info days. So Nirali and I guilt-tripped her into going to UTS, haha. We personally marched her there, made her ask questions at the booths, and picked up freebies along the way. Win/win situation!

At the end of the day, I shall stick with speech pathology at USYD. Speech path was the first course phase I was seriously into. Then it branched psychology, med, nursing, occupational therapy. And now we're back to speech path. I always come full circle :L Hopefully I like the course. If I don't, I hope I discover that as soon as possible. Four years of my life... studying next to Rookwood Cemetary. Here we go...

0 Comments