Temporarily back to school

Thursday, February 9, 2012 x 7:17 PM

I died getting up at seven for three days of grammar bridging course x.x And that was a ten o'clock start too. I always liked getting up several hours early for travel, food and sudden catastrophes that eat up all my time. But at this rate, a nine o'clock start will completely slaughter me D: Fingers crossed for a decent timetable...

The bridging course was mind-boggling. To me, grammar = noun, verbs, adjectives etc - i.e. grammar =/= postmodifying prepositional phrases, copula verbs, mass nouns, count nouns, adverbial phrases, auxiliaries etc etc etc... Mind. Boggling. Every day was a four hour lecture with thirty minutes break in the middle and five minutes break every hour. Needless to say, I was nodding off at various points and took in nothing, but I did hang on to what the lecturer was saying. I'm still very confuzzled but I'll leave the rest for the actual linguistics class (which I can tell I will hate) when semester starts. I'm just glad I don't have to learn it from scratch in class; it'd completely freak me out @_@

The good news is that I made friends on my first day =D It's actually really easy, because it's such a specialised course that hardly anyone has any friends coming in with them. Everyone is out looking for friends. All you have to do is smile, say hi, exchange names and off you go. The deciding factor seems to be who sits next to you in the lecture though. I sat next to a girl who had already made three other friends, so by the time the first break came around, the five of us were on the same page. It's kind of unnerving how quickly we've become a group o.o; We poke, tease and laugh at each other, so I guess that's a good start :L I've made a few other friends as well but everyone has broken off into groups already. I guess we all know we're friendless and cling to anyone who we know the name of XD I like my new friends. Too bad we'll only see each other again at orientation at the end of the month. But as long as there will be familiar faces, I will feel safe :3

On the downside, I don't feel pumped for O-Camp anymore because my only reason for going was to make friends. Now that I've achieved that already, and with none of my new friends going, there's suddenly not so much reason to go. Kinda sad because I was set on it even before enrolment, but at this rate it looks like I'll be saving $99. We'll have to see.

The ratio of girls to guys is as ridiculous as I imagined, but it was still surreal sitting in a lecture room with forty people, only five of whom were guys. Not everyone in the course enrolled in the bridging course, so maybe there are one or two more males lurking around. It's hilarious that I actually feel like I've gone back into an all-girls school :L Courses like speech path and occupational therapy are really female-based. I wonder why though. Speech path doesn't really strike me as a particularly feminine occupation XD

So that was my first uni experience. It was quite enlightening, actually. Things I have learned/wondered about:

1) Early starts = BAD.
2) Pay attention to the lecture at least 80% of the time because nearly everything is new content and you will feel screwed/dumb/'omg I am not suited for this course' if you get lost.
3) Long lectures = VERY BAD.
4) Everyone says you'll make friends with people in other degrees really easily at Cumbo. I'm already doubting that, what with the people in my bridging course alone clustering into pseudo-friendship groups at the first opportunity. And it's not like we share subjects with other degrees. But I will prepare myself for enlightenment :L
5) Chair = hard = stiff legs, spine, neck =  desire to perform biggest stretch ever if only you wouldn't look absolutely ridiculous.
6) Table = just fits open A4 book = all stationery goes in... lap?
7) Canteen = limited = bring lunch.
8) University = hard but interesting.

0 Comments